Your registration cannot be confirmed until we receive your fee either by credit card, purchase order, or check. However, we know that sometimes it takes a public agency several weeks to authorize and process a payment, and during that time a class may fill up.
A "Letter of Authorization" (LOA) solves this problem. This letter notifies us that a student's registration fee has been approved by the agency and that payment is in process. Submitting a Letter of Authorization with your registration form will allow us to confirm your place in a class before we receive your agency's check or purchase order. When using a Letter of Authorization, please follow up with your agency to ensure that payment is actually processed, as payment is due in full within 30 days after the class or event.
Preparing a Letter of Authorization
Please provide one Letter of Authorization per class or event. You may use a single authorization to register a group of students in a single class. (However, you cannot use a single authorization to register students for multiple classes.) The LOA must be printed on agency letterhead and must be signed by the authorizing supervisor or manager. The LOA must contain the following information:
- Today's date
- Class/event code (e.g. TE-01)
- Class/event title
- Class/event date
- Class/event location
- The following statement: My agency has authorized the registration of the individual(s) listed below in the above-referenced class. A (CHECK or PURCHASE ORDER or SUBSEQUENT CREDIT CARD PAYMENT) is currently being processed in the amount of $________. It will be submitted within 30 days. Based on this authorization for fee payment, please confirm the registration of the following student(s):
- List of student name(s)
- Signature of authorizing supervisor or manager
- Contact information (Name, Title, Phone, Email) for the person issuing the Letter of Authorization
- The following statement: I acknowledge that in order to cancel our registration and receive a refund less a $50 processing fee, we must notify the Technology Transfer Program at least five (5) working days before the course is scheduled to begin. Notification must be made in writing, sent by e-mail to email@example.com or by fax to 510-643-1864. In lieu of canceling, agencies may send a substitute. The University reserves the right to charge the full fee for the course if proper notification is not sent to The Technology Transfer Program.
Submitting a Letter of Authorization
For quick confirmation of your registration, fax, email, or mail your LOA with your registration form(s) to:
Technology Transfer Program
Institute of Transportation Studies
University of California, Berkeley
109 McLaughlin Hall
Berkeley CA 94720-1720
FAX: 510-643-1864 (attention: Registration)